How to overcome Adrenal Fatigue naturally?
What is Adrenal Fatigue?
A relatively new term, “adrenal fatigue” was proposed as a new condition in 1998 by Dr. James L. Wilson, a naturopath and chiropractor. His assumption was that an overstimulation of the adrenal glands (or “adrenals”) by chronic stress over time could lead to an inconsistent level of cortisol (the stress hormone) in the bloodstream, sometimes far more than normal and at other times, far too low. In addition to this overload or improper cortisol level, people with adrenal fatigue often don’t have enough DHEA, the “parent hormone” responsible for the creation of many necessary hormones in the body.
Dr. Wilson describes the unique progression of adrenal fatigue throughout the day as follows: you wake up and are unable to function without a significant amount of caffeine, finally feel a boost of energy during the early part of the day, then your energy levels crash around 2 p.m., rise around 6 p.m., fall again around 9 p.m. and then finally peak again at 11 in the evening.
Adrenal fatigue symptoms include:
• Autoimmune conditions
• Chronic fatigue (always feeling tired)
• Brain fog
• Hair loss
• Hormone imbalance
• Weakened stress response
• Insulin resistance
• Decreased sex drive/libido
• Moodiness and irritability
• Muscle or bone loss
• Skin ailments
• Sleep disturbances
• Weight gain
• Sweet and salty food cravings
You can heal adrenal fatigue with three simple steps: start an adrenal fatigue diet, take supplements and reduce stress.
Foods to avoid include:
• Caffeine: This can interfere with your sleep cycle and make it hard for your adrenals to recover.
• Sugar and sweeteners: Includes avoiding high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners as well. Avoid sugary foods, cereals, candy, sweets, etc.
• Processed and microwaved foods
• Processed meats
• Hydrogenated oils: Vegetable oils like soybean, canola and corn oil are highly inflammatory and can lead to adrenal inflammation.
Some of the top superfoods for adrenal health include:
• Avocado and other healthy fats
• Cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.)
• Fatty fish (e.g., wild-caught salmon)
• Free-range chicken and turkey
• Bone broth
• Nuts, such as walnuts and almonds
• Seeds, such as pumpkin, chia and flax
• Kelp and seaweed
• Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
• Fermented foods rich in probiotics
These foods help overcome adrenal fatigue because they’re nutrient-dense, low in sugar and have healthy fat and fiber.
2. Supplements and herbs
• Licorice root
• Fish oil (EPA/DHA)
• B-Complex vitamins
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin D
• Lavender oil
• Rosemary oil
3. Reduce Stress
The last and most important key to restoring your adrenal function is to heed your mind and stress needs. Pay attention to your body!
1. Rest when you feel tired as much as possible.
2. Sleep enough.
3. Laugh and do something fun every day.
4. Minimize work and relational stress however possible.
5. Exercise (even moderate exercise and walking can help). Yoga can help to improve quality of life and reduce stress responses.
6. Avoid negative people and self-talk.
7. Take time for yourself (do something relaxing).
8. Seek counsel or support for any traumatic experiences.
Be kind to yourself. Try to avoid saying negative things about yourself and others. It’s important to choose to be around positive people and stay positive about yourself as well.
It is never too late to change. The power is within you.
Call Tunde on 0874170259 if you need help.