HOW TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Your immune system does a remarkable job of defending you against disease-causing microorganisms. But sometimes it fails: A germ invades successfully and makes you sick.
The immune system to function well, it requires balance and harmony.
Here are 10 tips to stay healthy
1. Eat whole plant foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and legumes as they are rich in nutrients and antioxidants that give you an upper hand against harmful pathogens
2. Eat healthy fats, like those found in olive oil and salmon, they boost your body’s immune response to pathogens by decreasing inflammation.
3. Eat more fermented food such as yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, and natto
4. Avoid refined sugar
5. Stay hydrated. Drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day
6. Exercise regularly
7. Get adequate sleep
8. Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently
9. Minimize stress. Spending time with yourself is more important than ever
• Vitamin C – enables the body to efficiently use carbohydrates, fats, and protein. Because vitamin C acts as an antioxidant it is vital to the growth and health of bones, teeth, gums, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C also plays a key role in the formation of collagen, the body’s major building protein, and is therefore essential to the proper functioning of all internal organs.
• Vitamin D – regulating the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, and facilitating normal immune system function. It is important for normal growth and development of bones and teeth, as well as improved resistance against certain diseases.
• Zinc – helps the immune system fight bacteria and viruses
• Elderberry flower – is a good source of vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants. I always mix peppermint with rose hip and elderberry flower when I have a cold and drink it with lemon, ginger and honey.
• Echinacea – reducing inflammation, improves immunity and lowers blood sugar levels
Look after yourself. Stay healthy.